Artist Opportunity - Christmas Tree Commission
Artist Opportunity, Open Call, Opportunities
Monday 10th 9:00am – Monday 31st October 2022 9:00am
As we prepare for Christmas 2022 and future festive times at our flagship arts and heritage venue God’s House Tower (GHT), ’a space’ arts is looking to commission an artist to create a new sculptural artwork that will serve as a reusable and eco-friendly Christmas Tree. The ‘tree’ will be displayed in one of the welcome areas of GHT.
This new commission is part of the organisations commitment to raising awareness about the current climate emergency, as well as reducing and mitigating our own environmental impact.
- The artwork should be sculptural and be no more than 205cm in height when assembled.
- The ‘tree’ must be easily assembled and disassembled for storage throughout the year.
- The artwork should be made of durable materials for display inside or outside.
- The artwork should be made from natural, environmentally friendly, materials which don’t have a detrimental impact to source.
You can download a large print PDF of the brief here
Monday 10th October – Monday 31st October – Open call for designs.
Monday 7th November – Work selected by the ‘a space’ team and artist informed.
Tuesday 8th November – Tuesday 29th November – Production period*.
Monday 5th December – Thursday 8th December – Work transported to GHT and installed.
*Please only apply for this commission if you can commit to the production period
There is a fee of £800 for the commissioned artist including materials (we would expect to see artist fees of £500-£600 as part of the budget).
To submit an application for this commission, or if you have any questions, please email Hannah Preston at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28th October.
Submissions must include:
- Your proposed design with details about materials including where they will be sourced from.
- Details of how the ‘tree’ is assembled and disassembled, along with all dimensions and weight.
- Please highlight any specific design features and how these will be produced.
- 100 words about your ideas and influences behind your ‘tree’ idea.
- A link to your website, some information about you or examples of previous work.
As an organisation we actively look to reduce barriers for artists applying for our opportunities and commissions, and we are committed to being fair, accessible, transparent and inclusive.
We offer a range of access support for artists, including alternative formats for information we release and submissions we receive as well as an artist access fund; please contact us so that we can discuss your individual needs and provide appropriate support. You can email us on email@example.com or call 023 80 338 778.