Artist opportunity - Lucky Dip Bursary 2023
Artist Resources, Open Call, Opportunities
Monday 12th December 9:00am – Monday 30th January 2023 9:00am
‘a space’ arts are pleased to announce submissions for the Lucky Dip Bursary Scheme 2023 are now open.
After two successful rounds of funding in 2021 and 2022, ‘a space’ arts is continuing the Lucky Dip Bursary Scheme in 2023 to support local visual artists to make new work. The grant programme offers ten artists in the SO postcode £500 to fund the creation of a new artwork or activity.
The application process will be light-touch and proposals will not be assessed. The bursaries will be awarded to artists through a lottery selection. This experimental approach seeks to proactively remove barriers around application and selection processes.
With the cost of living increasing and a general lack of funding for the arts, artists are struggling to build sustainable careers. The Lucky Dip Bursary Scheme will provide financial support and positivity in these challenging times by enabling ten local artists to make new work.
‘a space’ arts is committed to becoming an anti-racist organisation and as part of this work five of the Lucky Dip Bursaries will be offered to global majority* artists.
Please note, this bursary scheme is only open to artists aged 18+.
- To fund new and exciting works of art or artistic activity.
- To encourage artists to experiment and take risks.
- To get more money directly to local artists to make work.
- To support artists in the city from a variety of communities.
- To remove the barriers created by conventional application and selection processes and reduce discrimination towards artists who find funding applications lengthy and difficult.
- The outcome could be an artwork or an art activity. It doesn’t have to be a finished project or a ‘final’ outcome. It could be a work in progress, or a new area of research.
- This is an opportunity to experiment, test new ideas and take risks.
- The funded activity must be completed by 17th July.
- The work, documentation of the work or a work-in-progress must be available for a group exhibition in August – September 2023 in God’s House Tower, Southampton.
- All successful artists will be asked to supply images and text for promotional content and work with the ‘a space’ arts marketing and comms team to promote their work, the bursary scheme and the exhibition.
- All successful artists must be available to attend all progress meetings and the exhibition launch event in August 2023.
Monday 12th December 2022 > ‘a space’ announce open call.
Monday 30th January 2023 at 9am > Deadline for applications.
Friday 3rd February > The Lucky Dip Draw will premiere on the ‘a space’ arts YouTube channel, successful artists will be notified.
Monday 6th February – Friday 10th February > 1to1 Meetings with successful artists. Artist agreements written and signed.
Tuesday 15th February > Start up meeting. A chance to meet the other Lucky Dip artists.
Tuesday 14th March > Progress group meeting. All artists to update ‘a space’ and discuss projects together.
Tuesday 25th April > Mid-point group meeting. All artists to update ‘a space’ and discuss projects together.
Tuesday 13th June > Progress group meeting. All artists to update ‘a space’ and discuss projects together.
Monday 17th July > Deadline for exhibition proposal
Monday 17th July – Sunday 13th August > Exhibition planning.
Tuesday 15th August > Exhibition install meeting
Monday 21st – Wednesday 23rd August > Exhibition install
Friday 25th August > Lucky Dip exhibition launch event. All artists to exhibit and attend.
Friday 25th August – Sunday 1st October > Exhibition open to the public
October – November > Evaluation. All artists to participate.
In order to support as many artists as possible, the bursaries are capped at £500. Artists will be expected to work within this budget.
- Artists will receive £400 upon signing an artist agreement in February 2023.
- Artists will receive £100 once they have contributed to the evaluation in October – November 2023.
How to apply:
To add your name to the lucky dip, please email the following to Mia Delve at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 30th January 2023 at 9am.
If you require this application form in an alternative format please email email@example.com or phone the ‘a space’ arts office on 02380 338 778.
Please note, applications will not be assessed but they will be vetted to assure proposals are not racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or offensive in any way.
Please email your response to the following:
1.Contact Details – Name, email address and postcode.
This is so we can contact you and verify your postcode.
2. An answer to to the question: In what way do you consider yourself to be an artist (50 words).
We decided to ask this question as an alternative to asking for evidence of an artistic practice such as a link to a website or portfolio of work. This is so that artists who have little experience or formal training can apply.
3. 100 words about what artwork or art activity the Lucky Dip bursary would fund.
4. How do you describe your ethnicity?
This will allow us to make five of the Lucky Dip bursaries available to global majority* artists.
As an organisation we actively look to reduce barriers for artists applying for our opportunities and commissions, and we are committed to being fair, accessible, transparent and inclusive.
We offer a range of access support for artists, including alternative formats for information we release and submissions we receive as well as an artist access fund; please contact us so that we can discuss your individual needs and provide appropriate support for your application or project. Please either email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 023 80 338 778
For more information about this work please visit – aspacearts.org.uk/about-us