The Turning Point Bursary for Visual Artists 2023 - Open Call
Artist Opportunity, Artist Resources, Open Call
Monday 28th November 6:00pm – Friday 6th January 2023 9:00am
‘a space’ arts is pleased to announce the launch of the second half of our biennial talent development bursary programme under its new name ‘The Turning Point Bursary for Visual Artists’, supporting artists in Hampshire and its bordering counties.
We’re inviting contemporary visual artists at a ‘turning point’ in their artistic career to propose and carry out a 6 month programme of activity to develop their practice.
The Turning Point Bursary programme acts as a springboard to extend existing interests and explore new territories by enabling visual artists to propose a development project that is responsive to their needs, aligned with their practice, ambition, career position and long-term goals.
The definition of ‘turning point’ is open to interpretation, but previous projects selected have involved testing out new ideas and experimentation, creating or developing new work, mentoring and gaining skills and knowledge. Proposals can differ from these examples as long as applicants can make the case for it contributing to the development of their practice.
There are 4 places available on the 2023 programme.
The bursary is open to individual artists, collaborations and collectives, though only one bursary will be awarded per application.
This is a 1 stage application. All applicants can book an optional 1-to-1 application support session with Artist Development Officer, Mary Cork, in advance of submitting.
Successful applicants to the Turning Point Bursary for Visual Artists will receive:
- £1000 bursary to support their proposed activity
- Three 1-to-1 support sessions with the Creative Programming Team over 6 months
- Two group meetings with other Turning Point Bursary recipients, organised with the purpose of developing a final public sharing event at ‘a space’ venue God’s House Tower; a chance to share new work, skills or knowledge gained through their project.
- Participation through in the final public sharing event at God’s House Tower in August 2023.
You can download a large print version of the artist brief here – The Turning Point Bursary for Visual Artists 2023 – Open Call Brief Large Print
To apply for the programme you must:
- Be a contemporary visual artist or group with an active, critically engaged practice in the visual arts*.
- Be based (live or work) within Hampshire, or any county bordering Hampshire (Wiltshire, Berkshire, Dorset, Isle of Wight, Surrey, or West Sussex)
- Explain why you consider yourself to be at a turning point in your practice and how this opportunity will help you develop as an artist
- Be able to complete your project within the timeframe (6 months).
*Previous recipients of an ‘a space’ Talent Development Bursary are not eligible
Decisions will be made by a panel comprised of ‘a space’ creative programme representatives and an external assessor based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of proposal including a good understanding of the objectives the artist hopes to achieve
- The level of benefit the bursary will bring to an artist’s visual art practice and its potential to facilitate meaningful ‘turning point’ support for the artist, as explained through their proposal.
- How the recipient’s practice fits as part of cohort of other recipient visual artists and the potential to contribute to a final sharing event
- Aims that are achievable within the 6 month timeframe and a realistic budget
How to apply
To apply for the Turning Point Bursary for Visual Artists, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
– A proposal including a description your proposed development activity, an explanation of why you feel you’re at a turning point in your career and the impact that this activity will have on your practice. (.pdf format, max 1 side of A4)
– A separate simple budget document indicating how you will spend the £1000 bursary. (.pdf format, 1 side of A4)
– A link to your work online or up to 6 images attached to your application
The closing date for applications is the 6th January 2023.
Successful applicants will be notified by the 13th January 2023
To book your 1-to-1 application support session or to request specialist access support, please email email@example.com
As an organisation we actively look to reduce barriers for artists applying for our opportunities and commissions, and we are committed to being fair, accessible, transparent and inclusive.
We offer a range of access support for artists, including alternative formats for information we release and submissions we receive as well as an artist access fund; please contact us so that we can discuss your individual needs and provide appropriate support for your application or project. Please either email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 023 80 338 778.
For more information about this work please visit – aspacearts.org.uk/about-us