New Artist Opportunities - Open Calls
‘a space’ arts have some new and exciting open call opportunities for artists this January! Check them out below and follow the links for more information.
International Women’s Day 2024: SOUP Event and Bursary Open Call
Since 2022, ‘a space’ arts has been celebrating International Women’s Day by hosting a silent auction of original artworks made by women. These events have been a great success, supporting artists around the world and raising money for Yellow Door, a local charity which prevents and responds to domestic and sexual abuse.
This year, we want to continue supporting creativity and inspiring change by finding a creative, community-focused, women-led project in Southampton or the surrounding areas. The £2,000 bursary could support a new initiative, or help to contribute to the ongoing work of an existing project.
Who Can Apply:
We are looking to fund a women-led project based in the SO postcode which seeks to:
- Build connection and/or creative skills within local communities
- Provide social benefit and are not-for-profit
- Deliver a creative output
What You’ll Receive:
The successful applicant will receive
- A £2,000 bursary towards their project, split into two payments
- Access to spaces for meetings and workshops if needed
- Access to shared resources including AV equipment and desk space to help you deliver your project
- Access to ‘a space’ arts networks of artists and audiences
- On-going support from the ‘a space’ arts team
- A pop-up exhibition opportunity
Submissions Procedure & Closing Date
Write a short proposal about your project which tells us a little bit about you and your creative background and answer the three following questions:
- Who is involved and how will they benefit
- What will you be doing and what will the money be spent on
- What is your vision for the exhibition/showcase opportunity
To apply for this opportunity or if you have any questions, please email Mia Delve at email@example.com.
Submissions close on 12th February 2024 at 9 AM.
Open Call for a Sound Artist/Musician
As part of her Climate Action Commission for God’s House Tower (GHT), artist Anna Bunting-Branch is seeking a sound artist/musician to create the score for a new animation.
About the Project
‘Holding Space’ explores the role of reproductive refusal in climate activism; considering how environmental factors are shaping decisions about bringing children into the world. This animation is part of a wider practice that makes space for fertile counter-narratives which re-envision childlessness, and considers how the future might be conceived differently in the face of climate emergency.
The animation will premier as part of an exhibition at GHT in July 2024, and hopefully will be shown at other galleries and festivals in the future.
About the opportunity:
- Create an original score for Holding Space, approximately 10 minutes long.
- You will respond to an animation draft, script and images shared by Anna at an initial project meeting. The work will develop in dialogue with Anna, but you will have creative freedom over the score.
- You will record the final score to a digital audio file, which Anna will then edit into the animation.
Who can Apply?
- Sound artist/musician – individual or group.
- Anyone with an interest in storytelling through sound and image. We are especially keen to hear from applicants with an investment in the key ideas explored in Holding Space: climate action, queer/feminist practice, speculative fiction, alternative communities/family structures, childlessness and reproductive refusal.
- All genres welcome. Keywords that describe the feeling of Holding Space include ambience, resonance, spiral, spectral, otherworldly, DIY.
- We welcome applicants based in Southampton and the surrounding areas.
- No prior experience necessary.
There is a flat fee of £1000 for the commissioned artist/musician.
How to Apply:
To apply for this opportunity, or if you have any questions, please email Mia Delve at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Must Include:
- A short expression of interest (no more than 200 written words or 1.5 minutes recorded) telling us why you would like to be part of this collaboration.
- Some examples of your work via website or link to digital files.
- Details of any access requirements or barriers to participating (i.e., travel or care costs)
Submissions close Monday 12th February 2024 at 9 AM
As an organisation we actively look to reduce barriers for artists applying for our opportunities and commissions, and we are committed to being fair, accessible, transparent and inclusive.
We offer a range of access support for artists, including alternative formats for information we release and submissions we receive as well as an artist access fund; please contact us so that we can discuss your individual needs and provide appropriate support for your application or project. Please either email us on email@example.com or call 023 80 338 778
For more information about this work please visit aspacearts.org.uk/about-us